M5: Choropleth Mapping

Choropleth Mapping


Module 5 was all about Disney's Epcot Drink around the World Real Life Europe Edition  Choropleth Mapping and Graduated or Proportional Symbols.

The objectives were to create a choropleth map based on Europe's population density and graduated or proportional symbols based on Europe's wine consumption. 

I excluded data for Countries under 2500 sq km. I did include the Vatican City in the inset map for wine consumption but excluded from the main legend since their wine consumption was the most by almost 30%

For Europe's Population Density I used Graduated Natural Breaks of Continuous Sage (Green) from low (light) to high (dark).

For Europe's Wine Consumption I used graduated symbols I created myself. I did explore the option of doing both graduated and proportional but graduated worked better with my overall goals for my map. 

I placed the labels and bottles in a way you would know which text went with which bottle and which bottle went with what Country. I did experiment with adding lines for clarification but it made the map feel cluttered. 

I originally had the inset map in the bottom right corner but even with a border it was blending in too much with Turkey. It's not a large inset map but I believe its large enough to convey the data. Again I experimented with lines but it was overwhelming so I tried out the idea from the student example maps.

I listed the data for the Vatican City since I included it in the inset map under the Legend. Its kinda hard to see on certain screens but I could not make it any bigger or bolder without going over the country border.  

I topped off the layers with a Watercolor Paper Texture Raster Tile to give it a wine bottle label feel.

European Wine Indulgence



I used ArcPro 3.2.2. The geoprocessing tools I used were Annotate, Clip, Select and Point to Feature.






While doing this Lab I remembered a documentary I watched years ago. In the documentary, it was revealed that "The most Powerful Person in Wine" was the buyer for Costco, Annette Alvarez-Peters. That little fun fact has stuck with me all these years and according to my recent google search she held that title from approximately 2012 to her retirement in 2020 after 25 years with Costco. Bravissimo!

Comments