Module 2: Typography

 Typography


For this Module we studied Typography, Essential Map Elements, and Labeling. 

Due to personal time constraints and a persistent network issue I had to stick to the bare bones of the assignment. 

Customizations
  • Fonts
    • For the City Labels Font and Legend, I downloaded and used Merriweather Sans. 
    • For the Rivers and Swamp/Marsh Labels, I used Bondi MT italicized to represent flow. 
    • For the Title, I downloaded and utilized a font that was mentioned in our supplemental lecture material - IM FELL.
  • Used a yellow star to mark the Capital, Tallahassee, of Florida
  • Used the unique values symbology to show the different water features. (Lakes, Streams, Swamps or Marshes.)
  • I moved or rearranged every required river. 
    • Apalachicola was unique situation - with two differently named rivers on either side - there wasn't a lot of room to make a choice that was mostly visible with no overlap. 
    • Peace, St. Johns, and Withlacoochee River - only slight changes were made to improve readability. 
  • I went with a bolder color on the rivers and swamp/marsh labels for visibility. 

I encountered a small issue at the beginning of the lab - my points were double labeled - a quick search helped me deselect the feature class that was causing the issue. 

I did add a bit of color at the end with a base map since the layout was feeling a bit too stark even with the small bits of color added in. (I realize now that adding that color made some of my cities a bit hard to read, but alas - a lesson learned.)

State of Florida






During this module I couldn't help but think of one of my favorite video series from Digital Creator Elle Cordova. The series is called Fonts hanging out and anyone who heavily uses fonts/typography in their work will enjoy. 



Comments