Internship

Internship


For the internship, I have selected to complete 130 hours of hands-on GIS related work at the county I currently work for. The current plan is to work out something internally with our main GIS department and then supplement with GIS related projects in my department. If needed, I will also be supplementing the hours with ESRIs Virtual Academy classes and past GIS projects I have worked on for work.


This week we explored GIS user groups. Due to my location, I selected to join
  • Northwest Florida GIS User Group
  • Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA)
    • Florida Chapter
    • Location, Enterprise Addressing & Public Safety (LEAP) Committee (formerly the NextGen 911 Task Force).
      • This is an industry focus for me since I work in Emergency Communications and we are in the process of converting to Next Gen 911.
  • GIS Association of Alabama (GISAA)
    • South Region
      • This area borders my county.
    • Coastal
      • Possibly could have some overlap in ideas/resources for my County's coastal area.

I am also interested in the United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF) but I am going to do more research and consult colleagues before making the decision on becoming a member. USGIF is a community for those that develops and apply geospatial intelligence to address national security challenges.



I am a member of NENA and APCO but they did not seem to have any particular chapters/groups or committees currently available that are focused on GIS.

Comments